Fredericksburg Virginia has a long and distinguished history,it has a very important place in the formation of the American experiment. Along with that , Fredericksburg Masonic lodge #4 Free and Accepted Masons contributed more than probably any other Masonic Lodge in America.
It’s first recorded meeting was on September 1, 1752,with 13 members present. The record book still exists today and is in possession of the lodge.
Over the years the lodge has had many homes , beginning in 1756 it met at a tavern on the northeast corner ofAmelia and Caroline Streets. This tavern at the time was owned by a member , Charles Julian.
Finally,on April 4, 1757, the Lodge obtained a Charter from the Grand Lodge of Scotland for the sum
of seven pounds. Past Master Daniel Campbell presented the petition in Edinburgh,
Scotland. On July 21, 1758, the Grand Lodge of Scotland issued a formal Charter
for “The Lodge at Fredericksburg.” The Scottish Charter acknowledged the members of the Lodge at Fredericksburg was a Regular Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons and was “constituted, erected and appointed with
the … Brethren aforesaid and their Successors … a Just, true and regular Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons.” The Scottish Charter, engrossed on the very best quality parchment, is still in existence and in the possession of the
In 1762 the meetings were moved to the Market House which was located on the southwest corner of William and Caroline streets. The brethren were able to make this their home for many years.
The lodge was probably formed by men who had been made Masons somewhere else, it will probably never be known if there was any overriding authority, except loyalty to the craft. At the time there was a large Scottish influence in the area and many of the early members bore Scottish surnames.
Before 1816 , the Masons would normally meet in taverns in what is now called
Old Towne. Masons first raised money and built a building for both a
school and a Masonic Lodge. The second floor was used as the lodge hall
and the first floor would be used as a school.
During the Civil War , the building was turned into a hospital, thus many of the records and artifacts were destroyed. Due to the service of it’s many members more than a few Fredericksburg’s prominent buildings have Masonic
The first independent Grand Lodge of North America was established in 1777-78,when the Lodge at Fredericksburg joined with several other lodges to create the Grand Lodge of Virginia. Brother George Washington of the Lodge at Fredericksburg was asked to serve as its first Grand Master. At this time however he was busy defeating the
British army so he declined the honor.
Eventually, in 1786, the Grand Lodge assigned numeric designators to its various subordinate lodges,
and the Lodge at Fredericksburg was designated Fredericksburg Lodge No. 4.
Fredericksburg Lodge No. 4 has given more Grand Masters to the Grand Lodge of Virginia than any
other lodge. These eight include:
Judge James Mercer
Gov. Robert Brooke (GM 1795-97)
Major Benjamin Day (GM 1797-1800)
Hon. Oscar M. Crutchfield (GM 1841)
Judge Beverley R. Wellford, Jr. (1877-79)
Captain S. J. Quinn (GM 1907-08)
Philip K. Bauman (GM 1914-15)
Edward H. Cann (GM 1958-59)
The Virginia Charter
of 1787 written on very thin parchment, pasted on coarse linen still survives. It is in the possession of the Grand Lodge of Virginia, in Richmond.
Fredricksburg Lodge claims many notable men among it’s members, most of the mayors of Fredricksburg have been members, many Revolutionary and Civil War leaders, Grand Masters as well , but probably they are most proud of
the fact that General George Washington was one of the early members.
Freemasons are proud to claim The Father of His Country as one of their own. George Washington was initiated into Freemasonry in the Fredericksburg Lodge on November 4, 1752. He was passed to the second degree on March 3, 1753; and raised to the third degree on August 4, 1753. The Bible used in those ceremonies remains in the possession of the Lodge, together with several other Washington relics. Washington then left to fight in the French & Indian War, after which he relocated to Northern Virginia. He remained a member in loyal good standing of Fredericksburg No. 4 until his death.
Among the many attributes the Lodge established became what is probably America’s oldest Masonic Cemetery in 1784 and with the help of the James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library, maintains it to this day.
Buried are many Revolutionary War heroes, generals, diplomats, and millionaires.
After acquiring it’s own building at 803 Princess Anne Street in about 1815, the lodge hosted a grand reception for Marquis de Lafayette in 1824 and made Lafayette an honorary member.
During the Battle of Fredericksburg in December of 1862 Union troops ransacked the building carrying off much of the property,thankfully they left the Gilbert Stuart portrait of George Washington. In true Masonic fashion,
many of the items taken, trickled back from veterans during the ensuing years.
Over the years there have been many Masonic cornerstones laid in the Fredericksburg area. Rappahannock Canal Basin, Baptist Church, Confederate Cemetery, Shiloh Baptist Church, Mary Washington Monument,
and many others.IN 1848 Fredericksburg Lodge was also represented at the laying of the cornerstone of the Washington Monument in Washington D.C.
As you can see Fredericksburg Lodge is steeped in history, they as well as any lodge can only continue to grow by moving forward through time by remembering the past and building on the time worn traditions.
Gary has been a writer/ photographer for over 20 years, specializing in nature,landscapes and studying native cultures.Besides visiting most of the United States, he has traveled to such places as Egypt,the Canary Islands,much of the Caribbean. He has studied the Mayan Cultures in Central America, and the Australian Aboriginal way of life.Photography has given him the opportunity to observe life in many different parts of the world!
He has published several books about the various cultures he has observed.
For more information and a link to his hard cover and Ebooks,and contact information: please check his website, http://www.journeysthrulife.com.
Your comments appreciated
Throughout man’s long history on earth,there has been one group of people who have carried the torch of liberty and freedom throughout the ages , from time immemorial until the present day. In these days their counsel is need more than ever.