If there’s one thing that can be said about Frank Lloyd Wright quotes, it’s that they remind us that Mr. Wright wasn’t just one of the most famous architects in history — he was also a truly remarkable character. This month we celebrate his birthday. Let’s honor him now with these 12 memorable Frank Lloyd Wright quotes.
1. “All fine architectural values are human values, else not valuable.”
2. “Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change.”
3. “I find it hard to believe that the machine would go into the creative artist’s hand even were that magic hand in true place. It has been too far exploited by industrialism and science at expense to art and true religion.”
4. “Maybe we can show government how to operate better as a result of better architecture. Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world.”
5. “I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen.”
6. “A free America means just this: individual freedom for all, rich or poor, or else this system of government we call democracy is only an expedient to enslave man to the machine and make him like it.”
7. “The architect must be a prophet… a prophet in the true sense of the term… if he can’t see at least ten years ahead, don’t call him an architect.”
8. “Toleration and liberty are the foundations of a great republic.”
9. “Form follows function- that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union.”
10. “If you foolishly ignore beauty, you’ll soon find yourself without it. Your life will be impoverished. But if you wisely invest in beauty, it will remain with you all the days of your life.”
11. “A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.”
12. “No stream rises higher than its source. What ever man might build could never express or reflect more than he was. He could record neither more nor less than he had learned of life when the buildings were built.”
Frank Lloyd Wright was a master of his craft and a leader of his time. What set him apart from other architects? In addition to his indisputable talent, I’d have to say his views on life and his ideals also played an important role. Let these 12 Frank Lloyd Wright quotes shed light on who he was, how he thought and what he gave to fellow man.